Press Castle and the Packet House

Press Castle and The Packet House

Extract from Coldingham Parish and Priory 1908

The House of Press, commonly known as "Press Castle," is situated in a finely-wooded valley, watered by the Nether Ale, and the Grange Burn.

It is rich in historic relics. The bronze knocker on the outer door was that which was used by George IV., on his entering Edinburgh, when he was welcomed by the magistrates of the City.

An old baronial fire-place in the Dining-Room has massive standards of four pilasters, with coats-of-mail, and cornice inscribed "A Ryghte Joyovse and Welcome Greetynge," and "William Stanley— Elizabeth Vere— Ano— 1626— Dom."

An old brass clock, believed to be the second oldest chronometer in Scotland, and a whisky bottle, marked "To Clarinda," are among the treasures of the House.

 

The Packet House

A little to the north-east of Press is the Packet House, where the Royal Mail, in the olden times, halted as it sped from England to Scotland.

The Packet House is no longer visible but it stood on the main road, known as Post Road, at the entrance to Press Mains Farm.



The Packet House